Friday, May 30, 2008

Clarification

Happy Friday everyone!

I think I’m going to enjoy this habit of sitting down at my kitchen table each Friday morning and writing for an hour before work, nursing a cup of coffee and nibbling on my bagel with nutella spread.

I have a small confession to make. Despite working almost exclusively with scientists this summer, I myself have not been officially trained as one. I received my BFA from the University of Michigan’s School of Art and Design, as well as an environmental science minor. What I do have in my favor is three summers as a North Cascades interpreter and a passion for learning and teaching.

So, with that little disclaimer, my perspective in this blog is one where I am half-outsider and half-insider of the scientific community. As my Dad says about his Chinese language skills, I know just enough to get me into trouble. I’ll do my best to report science accurately, but please let me know of any discrepancies. This also is not a 100% official NPS blog, though I hope we can move towards that direction. As of now, this is an exercise in communicating science in a more narrative, personal way.

No comments: